008 // 30 Life & Business Lessons in 30 years!
Wow!! I can't believe it's my 30th Birthday!!!
It’s my BIRTHDAY!!!! & as a birth photographer… You can probably imagine that I think birthdays are a pretty big deal!!
I won’t lie, I’ve been super nervous about turning 30! It just seems like such a milestone birthday! Like okay, now I’m officially officially an adult… yikes!!
& on one hand I feel like because I’m turning 30 I should have my life together and all figured out by now but honestly I don’t! I’m not sure that I ever really will. Seasons change and in that, I will have to change too.
And in my 30 years of life, I’ve learned a bbuuuunnchhhh of lessons that I wish my younger self knew. Sooo here they are. You ready?
30 life and business lessons I’ve learned in the past 30 years. These aren’t in any particular order!
- HIs mercies are new every morning! Embrace a fresh start - a new day, a new week, a new month.
- If you have a question - find the answer.
- We are designed to live in community with others. Build your village and let them help and encourage you.
- We all need a mentor.
- You get to choose how you feel. You do not get to say how others feel.
- Prayer is the only thing that I can do about anything.
- The less that you expect from others, the less they can disappoint you. Put your hope in Jesus not people.
- What others think does not define your reality. & They probably aren't even thinking about you.
- In the words of Angie Lee… Ready is a lie. You’re never going to be/feel ready… do it anyway!
- If you don't like to read books, then listen to them. Audible is the best invention ever.
- Done is better than perfect. Stop holding yourself back out of fear. You matter and what you have to offer matters!
- Don’t believe everything you hear.
- You aren’t meant for every client and that’s okay. Be true to who you are and attract the clients that value that.
- Learn to listen to your body. When you feel anxious - Pause.
- Find what you love & what you’re good at and chase after it.
- Actions will always speak louder than words. Say what you mean and do what you say.
- Birth work is not a rescue mission. It’s not your job to save some from a birth you don’t think they should want.
- You become who you surround yourself with. So choose those people wisely.
- Judgment is a natural human response. You control what you do with it.
- Prioritize your peace - stay away from Drama.
- Invest in yourself. Spiritually, mentally, physically, professionally.
- God is my source for everything. My talent, my desires, my success, all blessings come from Him.
- Pray Bold Prayers. Nothing is too big, too small, too silly, or too hard for the Lord.
- Lists. Create lists for everything. To do lists, post it outlines, braindumps whatever!
- Set Sustainable boundaries. Especially in birth work. Decide early on what your “max capacity is” and stick to it.
- You are only in control of you. You only have the power to control what you do.
- True power only comes with true vulnerability.
- Never stop learning. Knowledge is priceless.
- Pray for enemies or people that you don’t like. You’ll be surprised how it changes you.
- Imposter syndrome stops you from doing what God created and called YOU to do. Let him be your source and give him the glory.
There you have it friends! 30 totally random life and business lessons that ive learned in 30 years!!!
But in all seriousness, life CAN be difficult to navigate and these are just a few things I’ve learned along the way that have helped me!